Tuesday, September 28, 2010

That's Dirty


So my friend Dawn calls me a few months back and leaves me a voice mail that went a little something like this: "Hi, Lisa. I signed you up for another race. Hope that's okay. Hope you're not going out of town or anything. Call me back. Bye!" WHAT?!?! So I call her back and she explains the race to me. The Dirty Dash. A 10k mud/obstacle course run in Midway, UT. It sounded like fun so I told her I'd do it. Sooooo glad I did. It was so much fun!

Our team name was The Piggytales. Cute, right? We were going to be a team of 5, but 2 of our team ended up dropping out last minute so there was just the three of us. We lined up at the start line, and waited for the countdown. How soon did my shoes get muddy? Almost instantly. There was a giant sprinkler spraying the first 100 yards of the course and it was shoe-sucking mud. The course followed one of the cross country trials at the Soldier Hollow resort. After running for a bit, the next thing they hit us with was this bad boy.
That's right. That's a snow machine. So. Cold. Like take your breath away cold. Then we finally got to run some downhills. On those hills were some hay bales to jump over.

That's me on the left in the red shirt and cowboy hat. Dawn's on the right in the blue. She's obviously much better at the hay bales than me.
Next up were the walls. This was my least favorite obstacle of the course. I am seriously lacking in upper body strength. AND they were surrounded by . . . more mud!
See, I probably look like I'm doing okay here, but what you can't see is that I talked some guy into letting me stand on his back so I could climb over. Yeah, I cheated a bit.
Next up was the smelly swamp.

It seriously smelled like something had died out there. A runner stuck in the mud maybe? I donno. But we got through it as fast as we could.

The slip and slide was next. My favorite. They sprayed this thing down with fire hoses so the water was nice and chilly.


Last, but definitely not least was the mud pit at the finish line. People were belly flopping and throwing mud all over the place. It was so crazy. The idea of this was that you were to crawl in the mud under the low hanging flags. Too fun.

We also ran through tires and tunnells but I don't have pictures of those. Good times.
Here's our team. Me, Dawn and Callie. The Piggytales. We were so muddy at the end that Isaac wouldn't even come near me. I'm signing up again next year for sure.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

that really sounds like fun! you are awesome!

racing dawn said...

whew hew! yeah, that race rocked. i'm so glad you did it. it was such a blast. did you know that ogden marathon is on the same day as the dd 5k? i'm working on getting them to change the date. they'd do that for me, right? :) it was so fun to hang with you for the day. we'll kill it next year for sure!